Wednesday 13 February 2013

Hee Lai Ton (Pudu) Restaurant 喜来登(半山芭)海鲜酒家



The Chinese New Year's Eve dinner is the most important dinner for Chinese. Normally this is the family reunion dinner. This year we decided to have our reunion dinner at a restaurant. When I was asked to make reservation 3 weeks before CNY, most of the famous restaurants in Kl were fully booked, for both sessions, 5.30pm-7.30pm and 8pm-10pm. Wow, seems like having reunion dinner at a restaurant is fast becoming a norm in KL.

The only option left was Hee Loi Ton. We had a pretty good experience when we had our reunion dinner here 2 years ago, so we thought it is alright to go again.

We booked the 5.30pm slot, taken RM428 nett set menu - 7 courses meal for 4-6 pax. Personally, I felt it was pricy with the types of food served.

First dish is always Yee Sang for CNY set menu. Yee Sang is raw fish salad. It usually consists of strips of raw fish (most commonly salmon), mixed with shredded vegetables and a variety of sauces and condiments, among other ingredients. Yee Sang literally means "raw fish" but since "fish" is commonly conflated with its homophone "abundance", Yee Sang is interpreted as a homophone meaning an increase in abundance. Therefore, this dish is considered a symbol of abundance, prosperity and vigor.


Salmon Fish Yee Sang




The captain had even forgotten to put the salmon until I realised it at half way eating. Gosh! Taste wise, just normal. I had a better Japanese Yee Sang with my office mates for "Sau Gong" lunch.



Shark's Fin Soup with Crab Meat


Fish and Prawns are must have dishes with my family during festive meals. They symbolize Prosperity and Joy.


Steamed Gui Hua Fish with soya sauce. The original menu was served with Pomfret, my family prefer Gui Hua instead.


Guillin Style Prawn with special sauce - it was savoury and was the only dish that gave me a pleasant surprise that day.


I still prefer Lap Mei Fan at Elegant Inn which I blogged for my Dong Zhi reunion dinner. Click here for my previous post.



Waxed Meat Rice


Dry Scallop with seasonal vegetable. Kai Lan was served that day. I did not like the thick broth and don't you think there was too little dry scallop?



Sweetened Sea Coconut


It was a disappointing dinner as we were being rushed to eat and the food quality dropped - maybe I have put too high expectation. Hee Loi Ton, Pudu used to be my recommended restaurant, but not during CNY anymore!


Food : ★★★☆☆
Ambience : ★★☆☆☆

Hee Lai Ton (Pudu) Restaurant 喜来登(半山芭)海鲜酒家
3rd Floor, Shaw Parade,
Jalan Changkat Thambi Dollah, Off Jalan Pudu,
55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Type:
Chinese restaurant chain (non-halal)

Business Hours:
10:00am to 10:00pm (daily)

Contact:
603 2148 8666



1 comment:

  1. Amazing review for Hee Lai Ton Restaurant, thanks for sharing the nice food for your friends and family. Do see another review too at http://malaysiafood.org/hee-lai-ton-restaurant/

    ReplyDelete